Cleaning Up the Media Library

I was looking for an older post of mine and in the process, I discovered that several of my posts no longer had pictures!

I found the post that I wanted, but the picture I had posted with it was gone, like so many others!

I thought I would just go into my Media Library and repost the picture.  Well, I had done some house cleaning some time back and the picture is no longer there.  I deleted it.

I didn’t want my Media Library to get too full.  I have no idea how many pictures I can store.  So I deleted ones that I didn’t think I would use again.

If I delete the picture in my Media Library, does WordPress then delete it from the post it was used in?  Do you know?

If that’s the case, I am going to have to recreate some of those pictures!  Booo!  😦

About Penny Lane Writes

I'm a Freelance Writer that writes in several genres. I've been blogging for more than 5 years and have a growing following. I am working on 2 novels that I hope to have completed in the near future.
This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Cleaning Up the Media Library

1. Nicolle says:

Oops? That sucks. 😅

I haven’t gone and confirm it since I’m on a mobile device, but I think on a free plan you can have up to 3GB of media storage space, so I can’t tell how many pictures you can store (it depends on the picture size). It’s easier to tell the size of a file on the computer than on a mobile device. 🙂

Based on my understanding, the media library is your media storage, so if you delete a picture from the library, the post that was linked to it would go, “Hey, where did that picture go… I’ll just pretend it was never there.” 😅

2. Roda says:

It sure does! I learned the hard way! ☹️

3. trentpmcd says:

What a picture on your post really is, is a link to media someplace else. If you used your media library, the link is to the picture in your media library. If the picture is deleted, the link doesn’t post anywhere.

A little more detail – a post is just plain text with mark up language telling a visitor’s computer what to do with the text. So there are no pictures, music, etc. on a post, it is just text. To put a picture on, you link to the picture and tell the person’s computer to follow that link for the picture. The markup, which you can see if you edit in the html mode, tells the computer how to display the image, but the image isn’t there, it is just a link. So when you delete the target, the file in your library, the link is broken, it doesn’t point anywhere, so nothing is displayed.

4. Morgan says:

I am not sure, but I would think so since the source the post would be pulling the image from is no longer available. 😦

5. ~M says:

Yes, once you delete it, it is also deleted from your post.

6. I’ve done that too. I lost so many, I think I deleted the posts in the end as well.

7. cherished79 says:

Yes, I found out the hard way also by looking back on some old posts with missing images. Kinda embarrassing so have to keep up to date. Good post! 🙂